Friday, June 19, 2009

Swine Flu

So, for some reason I thought this whole swine flu problem had blown over a month ago. Turns out, not true.
87 people have died in the U.S. and 180 worldwide. There are 1,000 new cases in the U.S. every day.

Yesterday, the PI I work for asked me to look up the new cases and deaths caused by swine flu in the U.S. and Mexico on the W.H.O. website. He was hoping to see a rise and then decline in numbers - showing that the worst is over. That scenario seemed to be true for Mexico - but not the U.S. Also, because the U.S. has so many cases and so many people travel through it, that there are about 88 countries with swine flu cases.
This graph shows a trend that Mexican flu deaths are leveling off, but U.S. deaths are starting to pick up speed.

Today there was a relatively uninformative panel discussion at the ICGEB. Dr. Jameel called up all of his governmental big-shot friends and scientists, social workers and journalists answered questions from the scientific community. Though they did not say anything I was not already aware of, the concept that I got to be a part of that discussion was pretty neat. Dr. Jameel gave an intro/background for the Influenza (2009) H1N1 virus, a.k.a. swine flu. Guess what showed up? My graphs! I have broken into the science world of crunching numbers and retelling known data.
If you would like to look at the current case numbers, they are reported daily here:
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/updates/en/index.html

Since there have been 44 cases in New Delhi in the past week, I'm starting to think a bit more about this - which is safer India or U.S.? I know the answer that some of you will give.

Anyway, my thinly veiled point is that everyone should wear facemasks. Go on. Do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment