Saturday, July 4, 2009

Celebrating my Independence

After registering for the U.S. embassy, I was sent an invitation to the 4th of July celebration.
I've been talking about this event to people at work - giving them the whole history about why fireworks are really important. When I arrived, the gates to the embassy ball park looked like a movie premiere. There was a red carpet, people lining up and tons of security. Unlike all of the security I have been through in India, this was actual security - working metal detectors and I had to turn on all of my electronic equipment.

So, can someone remind me what we are celebrating? This guy confused me a bit.
Once inside I was a little grossed out at the volume of red white and blue assaulting my eyes. After the initial shock, I got right to business buying expensive food and being ignored by those around me. It was very homey. Eventually some college-aged kids sat next to me and I got to know that they were from California, had been living in New Delhi for 7 weeks and were Christians taking classes and working with an orphanage. They were very friendly and I am going to church this evening at a place called Kingdom International.
On the evening's schedule was food, fireworks, presentation of the color guard, music and fun. I couldn't quite figure out what they meant by scheduled 'fun.' But I soon found out it was a tug-of-war, watermelon and pie eating contests and a raffle.
One of the girls in the California group won the raffle. The prize was a free Continental Air ticket back to the states. I don't know what to think if the nicest thing that can be given to you in In

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an interesting holiday in India and that you are meeting interesting people.

    ReplyDelete