Sunday, July 12, 2009

a weekend that once was.

This past weekend was extremely uneventful - so now I will tell you about all the things that happened.

I have been told by coworkers that you can find any book you need in New Delhi. I didn't believe them, but I figured it was worth a try. I quested on Saturday for "Applied Calculus" a book that I need for a math class this coming semester.

A note on Indian capitalism. In the U.S. an individual who say wants to open a kitchen supply store would scout around for the location with the most need and the least competition. There are exceptions. There are no crafts stores and convenience stores are everywhere. It's not uncommon to see one intersection with a Walgreens, 7-11, Rite Aid and your choice for the fourth.
An Indian however will look at an area and see 3 grocery stores. He will think to himself: this looks like a great place for a grocery store!
So, when book shopping, I did not need to go many places because they have entire markets devoted to books. I've asked people why store owners think this is a good idea and the common answer is numbers. There are so many people in India and they all need everything, so a store location is better where people are already looking.

I started in Ber Sarai, the nearest book hangout and it was suggested I go to Rajiv Chowk - the main shopping center of New Delhi. I was doing pretty well - finding bookstores, but not my book - until a man approached me to help. I have this happen every once in a while, and it makes me bitter. Gary put it best when he said that these guys jam his thinking. They talk to you so much, it is hard for you to make your own decisions. I believe they honestly want to help you, but they also eventually want to divert you to their choice shopping area where they recieve commission for bringing customers. It is everyone's conviction that if a foreinger can just see their wares - can just look in their direction - that a sale will be made.

If I talked out loud, then the helpful man would give an answer. It seems very impolite to completely ignore him, so I answer every other question with varying degrees of truth. Gary and I once went back and forth with a guy trying to see who could lie more.
a 'helpful' guy : where are you from?
me : Holland.
guy: where in Holland?
Gary: Friezland.
guy: what is your name?
Gary: Hans.
me: Gretel.
guy: is she your woman?
Gary: ?
me: we're married.
Gary made it hard though, because every time he would say something, he would giggle uncontrollably.

My helper and I walked all over looking for a book. He was a good translator and I was able to ditch him by getting some lunch. In the end, India does not have my book. There is one more place in Delhi I could try, but I ordered "Applied Calculus" on Amazon this morning, so I don't think it will be necessary.

Sunday was extremely American. I went to church, saw Transformers: Revenge of the fallen, ate dinner at Subway (tuna sub), and was driven back from the mall in a luxury Toyota that belonged to a friend of Vahid's.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful story. As was your auto ride. I like to think that I was able to create a pretty accurate picture in my mind based on all the details you provided.

    ReplyDelete